Saturday, March 10, 2007

Black Bean Soup

My friend Rebecca (the only vegetarian that I have ever met and stayed buddies with, ha!) gave me this delicious recipe! I have made it a few times for John and myself and it's very filling and good.

1 C. salsa (plus extra for garnish)
2 15 1/2 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. broth
sour cream
optional:
1 lime
dry sherry

Heat the salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the beans and broth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then spoon half the soup into a blender and puree.
Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and heat through.
Serve with sour cream, additional salsa, and a squeeze of lime (if using). Or stir in 1 to 2 T. dry sherry into each serving.

No comments: