Friday, March 9, 2007

Tortilla Soup Giraud (From Cooking With Texas Highways)

I have made this recipe several times for our college and career discussion group (who John and I lovingly call "Our Friday Night Kids"). It's always a hit! The first time I made it I followed the recipe exactly and it was a little bland...needed salt. Since then I've amped up the spice requirements and I use chicken breasts and boullion to make a quick broth while poaching the meat. I also use the Pampered Chef chopper that John's sister Candice got for me on ALL the veggies (including the potatoes and the chicken when I'm feeling lazy!). It makes quick work of all that chopping!

According to the book, this recipe is Lady Bird Johnson's. I like that it's tortilla soup without the tortillas (traditionally, the recipe actually has dissolved corn tortillas in it...not my cup-a-tea, which is why I prefer this one).

Tortilla Soup Giraud

Serves many...can be stretched far!!

1 1/2 medium onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
vegetable oil
2 carrots, sliced in thin rounds (I dice these...they cook faster that way)
1/4 bunch celery
2 potatoes, diced (Yukon Gold works well)
3 1/2 qt. chicken stock, heated
2 T. chili powder (more)
2 T. ground cumin (more)
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. granulated garlic
3/4 C. garbanzo beans (which is about half the can, but I use the whole can)
1 lb. cooked and boned chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste (a tablespoon?)

Garnishes:
tortilla chips (Tostito's Gold work best...they don't get soggy as quickly)
thinly sliced lime
avocado
Mexican blend cheese

I start this one by poaching 2 lbs. of chicken breasts in my big stock pot (about half full of water). I add some salt and a few bouillon cubes with the chicken. When the chicken is done, remove it to a cutting board so it will cool. When it's cool-ish I roughly chop and shred it with a sharp knife and a fork into bite sized pieces.

While the chicken is cooking:
Saute onion and green pepper in a small amount of oil 1 minute. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes; saute 2 minutes. Then add to hot chicken stock and add your spices; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Stir in garbanzo beans, chicken and cilantro; heat an additional 5 mins. or until ready to serve. Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with tortilla chips, lime, cheese and avocado.

2 comments:

Nate said...

I like this!

Lily of the Valley said...

love, love, LOVE this soup!!!