Thursday, March 8, 2007

Butter Cake

I might get in big trouble from my mother-in-law Melody for sharing this special recipe on the internet, but I have to! To set the record straight, this is her version of the church recipe swap classic that goes by many names (I've also heard it called "Gooey Butter Cake"). I've made so many butter cakes (sometimes multiple Butter Cakes in one day!) that I long ago lost track...I haven't met a single person who has said "Ew, I don't really like this" but instead am usually met with demands for the recipe after someone has become addicted! All our friends and family are familiar with this one. It's thin and buttery, sweet and salty and has this inexplicable crunchiness to the top with gooeyness underneath. Try it and you'll understand why it's called Butter Cake!

Bottom layer:
1 softened stick of butter
2 eggs
1 box yellow cake mix

Whip all this up with a hand mixer and spread evenly on a cookie sheet (a normal sized one with raised sides) with a spatula.

Top layer:
1 lb. powdered sugar (half of a 32 oz. bag)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
2 eggs

Whip it all up with a hand mixer and spread on top of bottom layer! Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, depending on how gooey you want it to be (less baking equals more goo). Place some foil on the rack underneath it in the oven because it might drip over the sides a little bit. Let it set and cool before you cut it into squares and eat it! YUM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manda, Thanks for leaving this recipe online. I look it up periodically. Tomorrow my husband's family is coming over (50-60 of them!) Thanks again! Troy's Mom